My G-Shock Feedback Forum » Feedback

G-Shock DW5600 battery life

1. fordag

North Shore, MA, USA

I have a DW5600 that I purchased in 1988. The housing and band have long since crumbled off but the watch itself is still running. I've never changed the battery in the watch. The light is just barely visible when activated but it does light.

Has anyone else experienced such a long run on their G-Shock battery?

I also have a DW6600 which I bought in 1994, that battery died several years ago. Again on this one the rubber housing is also cracking and falling off. Anyone else have their housings falling apart?

btw I tried to upload a couple pics of my DW5600 but they didn't show up.

David

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Riley

Philadelphia

That battery real went for the long haul. It's not common, but I have heard of G-Shocks lasting that long before. If you don't use the alarm and light much it can really extend the life of a battery. Most G-Shocks hardly use any juice just sitting there displaying the time.

That must be a DW-5600C that you have. They have a 691 or 901 module with a different battery than the current models. You can get replacement parts for those models. They can be found on eBay usually. Just search for "DW-5600C band and bezel".

BTW - I replied to your other post about the image upload problem. Feel free to PM me to get it sorted out.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. fordag

North Shore, MA, USA

Not only has it gone for the long haul, it's still going... I don't know if it's a C model or not, the back only says DW-5600. It does have 691 on it in a little box. I'll check out the post on photos, the pics I tried to post were of this watch.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Riley

Philadelphia

Here's the photos you uploaded to the archive:

Very nice. It does look like a DW-5600C-1. You should definitely get the spare parts and make it whole again. It will look like new again. These old modules are very tough. They can go forever with a part changes every 10 years or so.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. fordag

North Shore, MA, USA

I have a search up on ebay for the parts now.
    What is the expected life of the bezel and strap? Mine broke back in 1994, I know only because that's was what prompted me to buy the DW6600. Which has also since broken.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Riley

Philadelphia

There doesn't seem to be a matching pair of parts for sale on eBay right now.

Here's a search for the band

and

Here's the search results for a bezel

These have been readily available for a while, but the supply might eventually dry up.

fordag said:
    What is the expected life of the bezel and strap?

It depends. They can last forever if left unworn in a nice environment. Five years is probably about right for daily wear and little regard for it. Exposure to certain chemicals and prolonged periods of bright sunlight accelerate the aging process. Over time the resin gets more brittle, so eventually a tiny crack leads to breaking apart. It's just the nature of the material. Metal bands and bezels are a different story.

I highly recommend picking up spare parts near the time of purchase if you plan on wearing a G-Shock more than five years. Casio eventually discontinues production of these parts, so if you wait until there's a problem you might have to pay a premium to get the spare parts from a collector.

If you have a few G-Shocks (so that you can rotate the model you wear daily) it will greatly prolong their life. You can never have too many.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Ed

Yes, definitely get the bezel & strap for that 5600. Here's a pic of my DW5600C with a new bezel, but with the strap adapters and a NATO strap. It looks like it just came our of the showcase:

It's a GREAT watch and will serve you EVEN longer.

Ed

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. fordag

North Shore, MA, USA

I just ordered the bezel and strap. Thanks for sending me the links. What is the strap you have on the watch?

ALso the bezel that was available has Gold letters, My intent it to make them black. What are my best options for doing that?

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Riley

Philadelphia

fordag said:

ALso the bezel that was available has Gold letters, My intent it to make them black. What are my best options for doing that?

You should probably use some Goof Off to remove the gold paint. Check out this wiki page for all the details on stealthing:
    http://mygshock.com/wiki/Stealth_a_G-Shock

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. zz55

New Mexico USA

Riley & fordag:
    I also have a 5600c that's been on the same battery since I aquired it.... and I have a question along that line. Can I substitute a CR2016 for the 2023 battery that is at prestent still in the watch? I assume it is the 2023 because all my research says that is what the 5600 (691 H) shipped with.

Thanks in advance---zz

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Riley

Philadelphia

zz55 - I'm pretty sure that the CR2016 is not fully compatible. There might be another more common battery number that's compatible with the original. I think it might have the same voltage, but the CR2016 is a bit smaller in size than the older style one. I think that's why they last longer too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. Ed

To: Fordag, the strap is a Zulu which I purchased from Broadarrow. Here is the link to the page. When you get there, scroll down the page until you see the Casio Strap Adapters on the right, then look immediately to the left and you'll see the strap that's on my 5600C.
    Hope this helps.
    Broadarrow

Cheers,

Ed

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. Well, I also bout by G-Shock in 1998 (DW-5600) with 691 and I STILL have the same battery running and its now March 2012... TWENTY FOUR years later, must be a record

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. I have one DW-5600C too and it's working with the same battery since 1989... did lost all rubber and I never press the light button any more, so it's may last more.

Posted 1 year ago #

Tags -    

You must log in to post.